Wednesday, October 4, 2017

LSSL 5385- Chapter 14 Textbook Reflections and Sumamry

Graphic novels have really gained significant popularity, with students and teachers. They present information in a new format that appeals to readers of all ages. This format incorporates comic-like drawings, thought-bubbles, panels, and dialogue. Graphic novels are seen in both fiction and non-fiction, so it is important to remember that is a format, rather than a genre. One thing to note is that the text might be more complex when compared to a more traditional format.

 Fictional graphic novels tell entire stories, while nonfiction conveys information through the text.  Just as with any text, students may need support when learning how to read graphic novel. The text bubbles might be confusing initially if they don’t understand how to read from box to box. They have illustrations which are attention grabbing, but can also include complex text. I saw this when reading Persepolis. I dare anyone to say that book cannot stand up to any traditionally formatted book! It had vivid imagery and amazing details that helped carry the reader right along the main character throughout the story.

Graphic novels can be used in the classroom to support literacy, just as any other text can be used. I do know that some teachers have discounted their value, considering them to be just comics. I challenge even that being an issue because I feel like the purpose is to read, no matter what it is. In addition, why limit the student’s access to high interest text. As educators, we want to encourage a love of reading. We need to take our own personal biases out of the equation. Graphic novels can have just as big an impact as any other type of text. I personally enjoy mixing up my reading. I view it as cleansing my pallet in literary form.

In our library, we have a limited selection of graphic novels, which I hope to remedy as the new librarian. We have Lunch Lady, Babymouse, and Roller Girl. I would love to find out more information in order to build a stronger collection. I heard Max Axiom is a great book and incorporates science. Through the slide share, I was surprised to find out that 67% of teachers don’t read graphic novels. Thinking about the teachers that don’t value the GN’s as a library book choice, it made sense. They haven’t given the books a chance, so they don’t know what great things lie within the pages.

I was surprised to see how many elements were included in the descriptions. I never realized that the thought bubbles and dialogue bubbles were different. It makes sense to me why they would be, now that I think about it. I think those pages in the slide share would be a great tool to use when teaching students how to read graphic novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment