Tuesday, October 3, 2017

LSSL 5385 Ch 13 Textbook Summary and Reflection


Science fiction is futuristic fiction usually incorporating technology, space, and time travel. Science fiction does include some realistic elements, but they also incorporate fantasy. This is why science-fiction is a sub-genre of fantasy. Fantasy is set in a fictional universe and includes magical elements that are not possible in reality. Fantasy includes talking animals, and other magical elements like personification.

There are a lot of sub-genres of fantasy. Some include, apocalyptic/post apocalyptic, steam punk, dystopia, parallel universe, and many more. Both genres incorporate universal truths/themes in their text. In these genres, characters still behave in ways that are believable to the reader no matter what the situations presented in the text.

Post apocalyptic is one of my favorite sub-genres, whether it's books or movies. The book One Second After held me prisoner for two days. As noted in this chapter, what hooked me was the fact that everything that happened seemed possible. I could envision myself experiencing everything the character was going through.

This is one of the most popular genres amongst the boys at our school. I find that they will read a lot of the same ones over and over again, and it really seems to ignite their imagination. I personally don't gravitate toward science fiction, but I do love the broader range of fantasy. A really cute book called, Milk Goes to School is a great example of fantasy. In the story, it is Milk's first day of school. In some prior reading, I learned that personification helps students experience events more easily by using these fun characters.

As an elementary librarian, I think it is important to be familiar with all genres in order to be able to guide students to books. This is an area that I will look into further. It was helpful to hear so many titles along with their sub-genres in the video. The miscellaneous category intrigued me. I am drawn to books that don't fit into just one category. I think these types of books will be a good pick for kids that don't have a specific type in mind. This will be helpful when recommending books and choosing some new books for myself to read. Starters is next on my list!


No comments:

Post a Comment